ROMANIA: TOURIST & SHORT STAY
Short Stay visas granted and issued by the Romanian state:
Short-stay visa (symbol C)
It allows nationals to require the entry on the Romanian territory, for other reasons than immigration, for an uninterrupted stay or for more stays the duration of which does not exceed 90 days in any 180-day period prior to each day of stay on Romania’s territory. This type of visa can be issued for one or several entries. (In the case of a multiple-entry visa, the duration of the stay will be taken into account from the date of the first entry). The Romanian short-stay visa is granted for the following purposes: official government mission, tourism, business, private visit, transportation, participation in sports activities, as well as cultural, scientific or academic events. In the case of a holder of a short-stay visa, the stay right cannot be extended.
1. Official mission (symbol C/M) – it is issued to third-state citizens (and to their family members) who travel to Romania for reasons related to their political, administrative or public positions in the governments and public administrations of the country of origin or in international organisations; .
Supporting document needed for the application: a verbal note or an official letter, addressed to the Romanian diplomatic mission or consulate where the visa application is to be submitted, on behalf of the government or of any other authority in the state of residence, or on behalf of an international organization, attesting the official status of the visa applicant and the official purpose of the trip.
2. Tourism (symbol C/TU) - it is issued to third-state citizens who wish to travel to Romania for tourism;
Supportin document needed for the application:
- voucher or firm reservation at a tourist accommodation unit, as well as the itinerary of the trip
- valid travel ticket to destination, or the driving license, green card and registration documents of the means of transport in the case of vehicle drivers, except for the accompanying persons who travel together with them
- travel medical insurance
- proof of financial means in amount of EUR 50/day for the entire period, but not less than EUR 500 or the equivalent in convertible currency, except for the visa applicants who prove the full payment in advance of the tourism services packages, at least accommodation and meals.
3. Private visit (symbol C/VV) - it is issued to third-state citizens who travel to Romania for private visits to Romanian citizens or to foreigners holding a valid Romanian residence permit;
Supportin document needed for the application:
- valid travel ticket to destination, or the driving license, green card and the registration documents of the means of transport in the case of vehicle drivers, except for the accompanying persons who travel together with them
- travel medical insurance
- an authenticated invitation from the host stating that the latter covers the repatriation expenses, should the invited foreigner not leave Romania upon expiry of his/her right of stay granted by the visa, as well as the cost of accommodation and living expenses in case the host undertakes to cover such costs
- proof of financial means in the amount of EUR 50/day for the entire period, but not less than EUR 500 or the equivalent in convertible currency, if the host does not undertake to cover the living expenses;
- proof of accommodation, as a firm reservation at a tourism unit, an ownership deed or rental agreement for a dwelling in Romania in the name of the applicant, where the host does not provide accommodation.
4. Business (symbol C/A) - it is issued to third-state citizens who are to travel to Romania for economic or commercial purposes, for contracts or negotiations, for training local employees or checking the use and operation of goods acquired or sold under commercial and industrial co-operation contracts, as well as to third-state citizens who are or will become associates or shareholders of trading companies in Romania
5. Transport (symbol C/TR) - it is issued to third-state citizens who are to travel to Romania, for short periods of time, in order to carry out professional activities related to freight or passenger transportation
6. Sports (symbol C/SP) - it is issued to third-state citizens who are to travel to Romania, for short periods of time, in order to participate in sports contests;
7. Cultural, scientific and humanitarian activities, short-term medical treatment or any other activities that do not breach Romanian laws (symbol C/ZA) - it is issued to third-state citizens who are to travel to Romania subject to justifying their presence on the territory of Romania.
8. Airport transit visa (symbol A)
The airport transit visa (marked A) allows the access into and stay in the international area of an airport and to wait there until boarding the plane to the country of destination
List of the states whose citizens are required airport transit visas
Afghanistan, Bangladesh, The Democratic Republic of Congo, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Pakistan, Syria, Somalia, Sri Lanka
Exemptions from the obligation to hold an airport transit visa:
The following categories of persons are exempted from the obligation to hold an airport transit visa:
- holders of a valid uniform visa, a national long-stay visa or a residence permit issued by a Member State
- holders of a valid residence permit issued by Andorra, Canada, Japan, San Marino or the United States of America, which guarantees its holder the unconditioned right to be readmitted, pursuant to Appendix V of the Regulation (EC) 810/2009 of the European Parliament and the Council dated July 13, 2009, establishing a Community Code on Visas (click here)
- holders of a valid visa issued by a Member State or by a state part to the May 2, 1992 Agreement on the European Economic Area, by Canada, Japan or the United States of America, or in the case they are returning from the aforementioned states after having used their visa
- family members of EU citizens
- holders of diplomatic passports
- flight crew members who are nationals of third countries part to the Chicago Convention on International Civil Aviation.
Supporting documents to get a transit visa/ A-type visa:
- information allowing the evaluation of the applicant’s intention not to enter the territory of Member States.
- documents attesting the continuation of the journey to the final destination after the envisioned airport transit
9. Transit visa (symbol B)
It allows its holder to enter the territory of Romania for a transit period that does not exceed 5 days. A transit visa can be issued for one, two or multiple transits, provided that each transit period does not exceed 5 days.
Supporting documents to get a B-type visa:
- visa issued by the state of destination
- travel tickets valid to destination; in the case of vehicle drivers: the driving license, the registration documents of the vehicle and the green card bearing the owner’s identification data, the state of destination and the states to be transited.
Short-stay and transit visas can be exceptionally granted by border checkpoint officers, at the Romanian border checkpoints, according to the provisions of Council Regulation (EC) 810/2009 of the European Parliament and Council of 13 July 2009 on the issue of establishing a Community Code of Visas (the Visa Code) and of Regulation (EC) no. 562/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council, establishing a Community Code on the rules governing the free movement of persons across borders (Schengen Borders Code) published in the Official Journal of the European Union L/105 of 13 April 2006.
The right of stay on the territory of Romania, granted to aliens under a short-stay visa, cannot be extended.
The purpose of the trip to Romania undertaken by aliens on the basis of a short-stay visa cannot be altered during their stay on the territory of Romania.